Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Idols, Maids, and Dates and Overused Pickup Lines (2/23/13)



Hey oh y’all,

Welcome back – Akihabara round 2!

I apologize for the lack of organization and clarity of this – I didn’t intend it to be a full scale analysis of AKB48 and maid cafes, but by the time I had dumped most of my ideas down, it turned out to be (though not nearly as organized) and I didn’t feel like editing it (I’m tired ok?).

So we started our trip at a games/anime store – everything ranging from recognizable to the I didn’t know that was a genre to the I don’t want to ever meet the guy who buys this genre. Then AKB48 theatre and store! Am I really the only one of our group that likes AKB? Unfortunately tickets are lottery based, but I really want to go! Maybe I’ll go to NMB48 (Namba – Osaka)! Yes, I admit I did buy 2 CD singles (Manatsu no Sounds Good and Eien Pressure) – Japanese music is really hard to get in America (and expensive for just a few songs). See importing economics and international copyright (stuff I should study more on – if anyone has more information please let me know).

But come on…they are a cute group with a good sound and a unique music structure (sure I know nothing about music theory, but this ain’t a standard Western 4-chord song).
Just look past the skirts and perceived-as-creepy fan base and try a new type of music.

Interesting point – there are supposedly “family” AKB48 tickets that are in some ways easier to get, but in order to apply you have to be a heterosexual couple. Perhaps less surprising is that girls tickets are cheaper than guys tickets. I do admit that AKB48 is a heavily gendered construct – often to excess (just see the Heavy Rotation official music video…I prefer to watch the Tokyo Dome performance, it’s less excessive).

On the thought of music – (read implied generalization disclaimer) – it seems that American music favors talented singles, while Japanese music favors ensembles who are theoretically mediocre but together become good. This is a reflection of the overgeneralized narrative of American as individual based and Japan as group based. This gets extended to AKB48 – some people argue – why do you need 48-plus members to sing? Harmonies rarely exceed 5 people (the implication is that a larger group makes a bunch of mediocre singers sound good.
      anecdotally/hearsay-wise, in Japan, it is possible to sound too good and outshine people you shouldn’t be outshining (ex at karaoke, the goal is to build community so old Uncle Joe’s terrible “Yesterday” would fit perfectly here).

Then we went to a maid café. I don’t know if I mentioned prior, but I have been to other maid cafés. It’s cute and perhaps not necessarily as demeaning as Western views may think.

Are the clientele…well odd? Yes. And having women in short skirts who refer to you as the equivalent of “master”…well questionable? Yeah. Add in that the selling point is the ability to talk to, take pictures with, and play children’s games with maids (who even on their birthday are 17…always…) and you’ve got yourself an unusual combination.

But it is a controlled experience – there are rules to interact with maids written explicitly on the menus – ie no touching, no photos, no harassing, no asking for personal information, etc. Also, the maids themselves get to construct their own character and outfit – accessorizing accordingly (one had a panda toy), changing their name, etc. There are scholars who analyze this as acted or play relationships – they use the term quasi-relationship: the maids act and receive attention and people (mostly older single men) who lack meaningful interpersonal interaction receive…well… interpersonal interaction...

(sigh…yes, it’s true you have to pay for it and that gives it a weird surface feeling and there are people who take it too seriously – someone there was collecting photos… - but by accounts it’s fun for the maids and it’s definitely fun for the clientele and apparently there are even maid rivalries – maids take their work seriously.)

 – And that’s not to say that women don’t go to these cafes (much rarer but it does happen) and there are butler cafes of parallel (again much rarer in comparison but it does exist).

And let’s be honest – the moe moe kyun kyun doki doki (mimetic words for your heart beating) spells does make things taste better and it’s cute to boot.

In a similar line – this is also the allure for idols – the idols get to be “cute” and “popular” and the fans get to “interact” and “support” their favorite idols (see idol handshaking events).

There are also “theme” maid cafes – though we were unable to find one, I wanted to look for a tsundere café. A tsundere is a character archetype that is usually cold and mean to the main character, but deep down is lovey-dovey and has a soft spot. So for a maid café, when you enter, you get yelled at and for duration of the experience you are criticized. But as you leave, the maid starts to feel sad, apologetic, and clingy. I haven’t really looked into the psychological allure of tsundere, but I do understand it. Yes, my favorite manga romance heroines tend to be tsunderes (I do recommend Nisekoi in Shonen Jump).

Yes – this culture of play relationships does sometimes extend too far – if this becomes your basis for all interpersonal interaction, that’s not healthy…But when kept in proper context (as long as you recognize it’s a constructed experience), it’s an enjoyable experience. It’s also fun to confuse your host mother when you say you like AKB48 and maid cafes on one hand and shojo manga and pandas on the other.

On a completely unrelated note – I do not like maid cafes because they use keigo – that’s complicated respectful form that I’m not used to hearing so I couldn’t understand the maids – of course they can’t break character and use normal language so thankfully my friends are better at hearing than I am.  

Just a thought.

Harajuku was ok…the most memorable things were weird cosplayers, expensive coffee, and playing ninja on the streets.

Then we had dinner and then we had another gaijin jam session on the streets.

If you want a more organized essay on maid cafes/Japanese idol culture – email me directly and I’ll put something together for you.

DC

No comments:

Post a Comment