Saturday, March 30, 2013

Karaoke w/ Okaa-san (3/2/13)


Hey oh y’all,

So this past weekend my host mother took me to a karaoke bar. It was a cool little place with only a bar for about 6-7 people. And of course everybody there knows everybody else (and they seem to all go way back). Unlike karaoke box places – which are private rooms – this was an open bar where you pass the mic to the person sitting next to you (they hear you, you hear them) and even the bartender (affectionately called “mama”) will even jump in.

As evidenced by the song choice clientele and the staff were older than me – they all…without any loss of generality… chose enka songs (enka is Japanese ballad – you know the sad, teary, drawn out, warbly songs? Those). And they all without loss of generality can sing enka.

And so, my choice of AKB48 and Flow (j-pop/rock known for anime openings) were a bit out of place. But so was I and that’s what made it fun – first they were surprised that I could sing Japanese (since I can’t talk in it), second, they at least knew of AKB48, started laughing, and told me to dance it. Of course the hilarious guy sitting next to me then stuck his pinky out – if an old Japanese man does this to you, he’s talking about your girlfriend (or asking if you have one…why garufurendo is one of the few English words Japanese old guys know is beyond me). Why they would ask me if I had a girlfriend after I sung an AKB48 song, I don’t know, but I’m guessing they were checking how otaku I am…a not unreasonable check to be sure.

Anyways it was a lot of fun hanging out with ji-chans and ba-chans for the night singing random songs (best part about an audience that doesn’t know the songs you are singing – they don’t know if you are singing well or not). If your host mother invites you to karaoke – go! Just be prepared to sing (you can sing an English song as well – emotions of a song do carry across languages). It’s fun and a decent ego boost :P.

DC

No comments:

Post a Comment