Monday, February 11, 2013

Setsubun - Part 2 (2/4/13)


Hey oh y’all,

Happy Setsubun!

While Sumi got to go to a play, I got up late and went to a different temple to go try to see a night Setsubun performance…probably the wrong decision if actually seeing a performance was my goal. Crowded was an understatement. I pretty much only saw the great wall of four year olds on shoulders. I think you could literally tip toe off the ground and be able to move based on crowd pushing alone (think sardine packed – which is funny since sardines are part of the whole Setsubun tradition).
I know what you're thinking David...and [not surprisingly] it's not a good idea.
(But Sumi, it's fun to go down the up escalator/stairs...ok...)

I did get some avant garde photos though, so I guess that was cool.





But all was well at the end– I got to have dinner at a ninja café and watch a magic show from a ninja (plus eat shabu shabu tabehoudai). I couldn't help but think of another magician I know who, even though he speaks English, I understand only slightly better than I did the Japanese speaking ninja.

Linking rings no jutsu. This wasn't in Naruto...
Then when I got home, I joined my host mother at a karaoke place – but this one was more like the American style karaoke – a general bar atmosphere as opposed to a private box. Here I was introduced to enka – Japanese ballad/folk-country/traditional? – it’s warble-voice teary Japanese songs for shall we say a slightly older audience?



Pandas like rice?

Though of course I got to contrast this with the only songs I can sing without a backing vocal track (read: only songs I can sing at all): WESTERN BOY BANDS!!!!!
Ya, apparently my host sister is a One Direction fan. Oh well.

DC

No comments:

Post a Comment