Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Stage entertainment! Yay! (2/10/13)



Hi everybody,

It’s apparently Chinese New Year! Gung he fa choi?

It’s also the weekend!

And that means field trips! And meeting new friends!

First off, I met an usa-chan (usagi - bunny-chan) named Majyu-chan! She likes cheese!

Meet Mr. Lion and Majyu-chan!

So Friday we went to see a Rakugo performance. Rakugo is Japanese traditional comedic storytelling. The Rakugo-ka was so funny. He did a lot of cool skits. He even performed paper cutting and bamboo screen art in his stories. He also made me a Tony Tony Chopper cutout (it’s from an anime…I like the character. He’s a cute reindeer.).

Art of paper cutting!
Today was Takarazuka! Takarazuka is Japan’s famous all-women musical performance troupe. They spend their whole high school careers training and once they become performers they can become national stars. Since it’s all women, that means even the male roles are done by women, but it’s so cool. In fact, the otoko-yaku (men actresses) are way more popular. They are really stylish and talented. Basically they have all the coolness a guy should have without the clumsiness or roughness. Now while I don’t see myself joining a fan club and writing letters and sending gifts anytime soon (yup fans – mostly middle aged women – do that), I really like the otoko-yaku. They say that the Takarazuka “men” are the ideal men, and I believe it. The voices and dancing is so graceful and pure, but they stand and present themselves very strongly.


Hear that David? The goal is to be graceful, strong, and nice. That makes you cool. Not weak, clumsy, and gruff. You really could do to learn a thing or two about style from them as well. But enough about you.

...not quite...

I bought a Disney CD! Now I can listen to my favorite songs in Japanese from really good singers (who also happen to be really cool women)!

Oh and we also went to another manga/anime museum….Tezuka Osamu or something…Astro kid something rather?… I don’t really know, ask the sleeping otaku…
There was a cute lion character and another golden bird though! I got to take pictures!

She's cute - Princess Knight (based off Takarazuka!)

Fortunately we have Monday off so we can catch up on some sleep. Oh and I should also probably do some shopping. An important day is coming up soon (stay tuned to see what it is)!

-Sumi
I don't really like Astro Boy.


Is that a unicorn?

No comments:

Post a Comment