Monday, April 8, 2013

End of Winter Quarter (3/19/13)


Hey oh y’all,

This is kind of an abrupt change from the somber topic prior – but today is also our graduation ceremony and sayonara party for the winter quarter.

And yes, as soon as the cremation was done, my host family dropped me off at the party.

And they profusely apologized to me for not being able to attend. As if I needed another reason to feel guilty and whatnot. No, you do not need to apologize. This is not my “sayonara” and you have much more serious matters to attend to. But anyways, I changed my tie in the car on the way to the party.

First we had our graduation ceremony – speeches from the director, senseis, and one of the director’s journalist friends who graduated from Stanford. We then all received certificates of completion (funnily enough the Stanford students’ ones were in Japanese and the Japanese auditors’ ones were in English).

Then we had our party. Thanks to RJ for being the student MC. The dinner was great! I’m not sure what the “theme” was, not that I care – Indian curry, pasta, dim sum, fried chicken, and sushi all served and all good in my book…The Stanford staff was also nice enough to set a place for Sumi and one symbolically for my host father.

Then after dinner, we had performance from the students. Jacob composed his own original song for his ukulele, and Daniel performed a piano piece. Then everybody got together to sing a song aptly titled “Arigato (Thank you).” It was a nice performance in my mind – it’s one of those oldies that the host families all know and has a good message. Props to Jacob, RJ, and Vince for keeping us all together and sounding good even though we had no backing vocals. Then we had a super awesome slideshow/music video by RJ. Please check it out here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScmX4EgE2Nc

To close, we had Adam give a speech in Japanese recapping our experiences. He is a great speaker. He spoke so fluently and clearly, and everyone understood and enjoyed his speech. He even acknowledged Sumi-chan as an official member of the Stanford program! As we say – get on his level!

After the ceremony, we all went to karaoke as a group for the last time. Of course our experience would not be complete without paying homage to some of our favorite songs – Hey Soul Sister, AKB48’s Heavy Rotation, Marry You, and more!

And so at the end we finally say sayonara! Good-bye!

I close this piece dedicating to the great 11 other Stanford students who joined me this winter quarter – Adam, Mando, Daniel, Vince, Marti, Jacob, Matt, Sabu-chan, Nick, Casey, and RJ. Thanks to you and your awesome antics, this was an amazing quarter. Thanks to Jacob for videotaping our events, thanks to my neighbor Matt for dealing with commute with me, thanks for the Marti-call and don-buri and the buyo-buyo, and thank you everyone for the gaijin smash! I will miss having y’all here. I wish you the best back at Stanford – especially to the graduating seniors who I may not see back soon.




Sayonara! Gaijin Smash Forever!

-DC

No comments:

Post a Comment