Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Spring Break - Lion King (3/21/13)


Hi everybody,

So we finally wrapped up our winter quarter program. Sadly we bid farewell to the other Stanford students. But at the same time it’s a joyous moment since it’s now spring break!

 



This morning we took an early shinkansen back up to Tokyo…and of course the first thing David has to do when we get to Tokyo is go to the Pokémon Center and Akihabara…at least he didn’t wait in line to play the carnival games at the Pokémon Center (I saw those eyes of yours looking). And why do you take me to Akihabara – girls like me don’t like Akihabara…huh! So inconsiderate of my precious time. And of course he haaaad to go to the AKB48 store…ahem!

....No comment...
Anyways, the reason I was in a hurry was that I wanted to go see Lion King today! Yup! Lion King is a very popular stage musical here too!

I think even David was able to understand it – especially since the plot, songs, and even some dialogue are kept the same from the English version. Some of the translated lines were also about how I would translate it

“Uncle Scar, you’re weird.” “You have no idea.”

“Hen na Scar oji-san” “Nani mo wakannai.”

Almost a one-to-one translation! I also really liked the Japanese portrayal of Rafiki! The actress was really good and combining zulu(?) with Japanese sounded really cool. Now I didn’t exactly understand Rafiki, but then again you can’t really understand him all that well in English.

And the staging and costumes were awesome! Everyone looks and moves like animals! And the stampede scene looked almost like the movie (though it’s also right before the sad scene in the play, but the stampede really gets your heart going)!

I also saw a sign for Hamlet in Japanese (ironically playing right after Lion King) – I’m not much of a Shakespeare fan, but I think that would be cool to see. Maybe might not be able to understand all of it, but the rhythm and the word play might be cool.

Ha-mu-retto


Anyways – so now we’ve been to 2 plays here in Japan – Takarazuka and Lion King! I like Japanese musicals!

-Sumi

No comments:

Post a Comment