Sunday, December 23, 2012

Day 1 in Tainan (3 in Taiwan) 12/21/12


Hey oh y'all,

I am now in Tainan in the South of Taiwan!

First let me make an addendum to my prior fear of public transportation. It is fear of transportation in general.

I now am convinced that the best way to travel in Taiwan is via Taiwanese motorbike. That is, if you are not afraid of flying. I mean, it’s fast, fun, and effective. There’s a certain thrill of flying at 100km/hr, with the wind whipping in your face. Then you hit a small bump, let’s say a manhole cover, and suddenly you realize that since you are sitting on the back seat, you have little to no control anymore.  It doesn’t exactly help that traffic signals and traffic lanes are more of a suggestion than a hard rule.

But seriously...apart from the whole having to dodge cars left and right at wind-whipping speeds and the flying bumps thing, a motorbike is seriously nice. I would honestly like to have one for back home on campus (that way instead of waking up at 9:55am for my 10:00 class, I can sleep in until 9:58!).

Disclaimer: Taken while at a stop. Do not try to take pictures while moving
Let me also make an addendum to my concept of luck: today I woke up with a swollen eye. I don’t know what happened, but it was kind of annoying. It’s one of those things that makes your day suck, but you are certainly glad it was not worse (so unluckily-lucky?). And even more fortunate was that the local optometrist (who works Saturdays) spoke English. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. I truly appreciate having someone guide me in a foreign country and reassure me in my home language. I know we Americans like to claim “we’re so welcoming to foreigners,” but until we stop thinking that English is the only language to speak in, we ain’t got nut’in on ot’er countries (heck, we don’t even speak English properly).



The nice volunteer showing us around the Banyan treehouse.
It's a treehouse! (or a house taken over by a tree) 
And on that note, even those who do not speak English have gone out of their way to try to make my experience better. For example, while I was visiting the Banyan Treehouse, one of the staff members led a personal tour for my friend and me, explaining numerous history tidbits about the place that even locals don’t really know. Then at the night market, a random local who was playing a street game paid for me to try the game as well. I can say that everyone I’ve interacted with, from my friends to museum staff to doctors to random strangers here in Taiwan have graciously gone out of their way to help me. Thank you all so much.

I know this trip has been way too short, but I have had so much fun here!
It’s been great here in Taiwan!

-DC

Disclaimer: Taken when at a complete stop. Please do not try to take pictures while moving
PS I have been alerted by a higher power I have been making too many spelling, grammar, and typographical errors in my writing. I apologize for any mistakes. Given a tight (and constantly changing) schedule, I am unfortunately pressed for writing time. So please excuse the numerous errors in my writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment