Sunday, December 30, 2012

New Year's Preparations, or Rather A Lazy Afternoon Reading Manga (12/30/12)


Hey oh y’all,

While Sumi was out shopping, I decided to take the day off and read some manga. I would be remiss if I did not talk about manga at least once during my Japan trip.

Why am I here?
Here is a bit of overview: I generally prefer shonen (boys) manga – this is the stereotypical stuff with explosions, fights, panels of angry faces, (the occasional uber cutesy pretty girl), and whatnot. You may know this as the Dragonball/Naruto/One Piece/etc. stuff. You can say Shonen Jump and just about everyone here will know what you’re talking about (whether or not you want to admit you know it is up to you).

Ok...I guess this is better reading.
But it is not the only type of manga: just like Americans have the “Twilight” series and its various spin-offs, there is popular girly girl manga, shojo. And it’s pretty much summed up as “Twilight” in various settings, usually a Japanese high school. Not really my cup of tea (but I will plug Ouran High School Host Club since, while it is a shojo anime, it’s satirical and funny).

And Sumi (despite what she says about otaku culture) likes manga/anime too. She likes Shirokuma Café (an animal based manga that stars a panda-kun).

Yay! Shirokuma Café!
If I pick up some more manga sometime, I will continue in the future (oh and I’ll be taking a class on Japanese pop culture so stay tuned!).

-DC



Shhh...Sumi actually likes video games.




No comments:

Post a Comment