Saturday, December 22, 2012

Day 2 in Taipei (12/21/12)


Hey oh y’all,

Please forgive me if I post well after the events happen. I may not always have time (or Wi-fi) to post regularly, so I might have a lot of posts backed up. I will try my best to put dates to give you all some perspective of time.



That's a cool looking elevator.
Today, I received a lesson on spending: Just because something looks cool and costs $US 1 million does not mean it is automatically useful or popular. In fact, that often makes it worse. Today I visited National Cheng Chi University (NCCU). The campus is very nice, and the buildings have a cool design. They also make good use of the natural scenery, including a nearby river and forest region. So the designers tried to allow students to more easily access the river and forest region. However, somebody thought that meant build a modern $1 million glass elevator, which basically leads from nowhere to nowhere. When I would tell my NCCU friends that the elevator seemed cool, they would shake their heads and reply that said elevator was a waste and useless.

In other news, I was able to make a tribute to one of the greatest book series of all time: Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer (warning spoilers ahead):



If you got this reference w/o me explaining, welcome to the club of young genii. Or you can consider yourself No. 1.
In the 5th book, The Lost Colony, there is a pivotal scene involving Taipei 101. Artemis, in his wicked genius, creates a plan to save “the lost colony” by going to Taipei 101, and as he enacts the plan he subtlety causes his adversary to meet at Taipei 101. While the adversary thinks he is in control, by choosing the location, it is really Artemis who is in control. In honor of this slick ploy, I wore the key “burgundy tie…pay.” Yes.
Notice the piece of cloth around my neck. Also the book. And the silver in my hand and behind me.

I am now taking a high-speed rail south to Tainan where more ALC friends go to school.  Tomorrow there are new experiences in store! Stay tuned!

-DC

No comments:

Post a Comment